I am a senior in college who is working on her capstone project. For this project I want to take some of my writing (blog entries) and make a book. I don’t know what is involved in the process of getting a manuscript ready to print, so I was wondering if you could tell me what the process is.
From your website I’ve been able to glean that there are the following stages involved:
Graphic design, layout, typesetting, other areas of pre-press work (I don’t know what this covers, getting files ready for press
Could you explain this process either to me or on your blog?
Also, could you recommend anyone who could perhaps mentor me through my project?(please, please, please?)
Thank you for your time and attention.
One option is to explore the various companies that are set up to turn your blog into a book. I haven’t used any of them myself, but I know some bloggers who have done it. Just Google “blog into book” and you’ll find lots of information.
If you want to go the self-publishing route, the stages of publishing are:
- Write the book, rewrite, polish
- Have experienced readers take a look at it and give feedback
- Rewrite more and make it as good as you can.
- Editing—get a professional (see more here)
- Typesetting—this includes layout, internal design in a REAL typesetting program (not Word); getting ISBN, LCCN (if needed)
- Book cover—cover design and layout (there are specific dpi and image types to use for press)
- Proofing final files from a print copy
- Preflighting—getting files ready for the printer
- Sending book to printer (POD or traditional printer)
- Press check—making sure the files are correct
- Print book
- Sell book (if applicable)—distribution, marketing, promo, etc.
Those are the basic steps. Only they’re not really “basic” as some of them require unique skill sets that take time and training to develop.
As to finding someone (or several someones) to help you with this, readers? Chime in again, please.