Dear LDS Publisher,
I received a contract from “ABC PUBLISHING” the first part of March. I read through it and emailed this change back to the managing editor:
I understand Section 2 to mean “ABC PUBLISHING” would have right of first and last refusal. Is it possible to tweak the language in Section 2 to right of first refusal only and also that it only apply to LDS themed works?
The managing editor emailed back to say she’d forwarded my email to the COO since he’s is the one authorized to answer all questions about contracts. That was on March 17. I haven’t heard anything since then. Would it be okay for me to send an email asking for an update? Who should I send the email to? I don’t have the COO’s email.
Thanks for your help!
- Good for you for not simply accepting that right of first and last refusal (ROFLR)! IMHO, a right of first refusal clause is okay, if it’s limited by time or genre. But first and last? I’d never agree to that. If you want to read my previous posts on ROFLR, go here and here and here.
- I am sure they get that question frequently and it should be a simple answer—either yes or no. Maybe they’re trying to decide how badly they want your book? Regardless, it’s been over a month and they should have responded by now. Contact the managing editor and ask if a decision has been made yet.