How old do you have to be to submit a book to a publisher?
Old enough to write a good book.
When evaluating your manuscript, we don’t care how old you are as long as both the story and the writing are good. However, once the manuscript is accepted, if your age is outside the norm (under 20 or over 80), we’ll certainly use that as a promotional factor.
Here are just a few titles written by teenagers that you might recognize:
- Frankenstein, Mary Shelley, age 19
- The Outsiders, S.E. Hinton, age 16
- Eragon, Christopher Paolini, started writing at age 15, published at 19
- Seventeenth Summer, Maureen Daly, age 17
- Black Stallion, Walter Farley, age 15
More titles here.