Writing Prompt Friday: Let’s Write a Poem

Based on the questions and comments I receive, I’d guess that 90% of the readers of this blog are primarily focused on writing fiction—as in, novels. The other 10% are a mix of non-fiction, short stories, and other types of writing.

It’s a good thing to stretch out of your comfort zone every once in a while. It builds writing muscles and stretches your brain—a lot. When your brain pops back into place, it often brings new creativity back with it that you can use in your main writing project.

So today’s prompt (unless you’re primarily a poet):

Write a poem that has something to do with the season—holiday, family, winter.

If you’re primarily a poet, your prompt is:

Write a short story that has something to do with the season—holiday, family, winter.

If you post your story on your blog, feel free to leave a link in the comments section.

Author: LDS Publisher

I am an anonymous blogger who works in the LDS publishing industry. I blog about topics that help authors seeking publication and about published fiction by LDS authors.

One thought on “Writing Prompt Friday: Let’s Write a Poem”

  1. I'm a fiction writer but I also belong to a small poetry club here in the Bear Lake Valley, the Pescadero Poets. This is a poem I wrote for our December meeting. It's a "list" poem–an ancient form of poetry and also lots of fun to write.

    My Christmas List
    Bring me a star, a bell, and a candy cane;
    Bring me a garland of shiny red beads.
    Bring me some lights; plug them in to be sure they work.
    Bring me an angel with tidings of great joy.
    Bring me a ladder so I can reach the top branch.
    Bring me the ornaments, the ones I remember as a child.
    Bring me the old-fashioned Santa toy;
    Pull the string;
    Watch him jump up and down.
    Bring me the unicorn, the dove,
    And the shiny red apples.
    Bring me the Christ Child wrapped in white swaddling cloth.
    Bring me the manger and lamb.
    Mary and Joseph kneel by his side,
    Shepherds and wise men watch in awe.
    Bring back the memories;
    Bring hope to the world.
    Bring Peace on Earth;
    Bring love for all.

Comments are closed.