The 2012 LDS Publisher Story Contest is now closed.
Stories for this year’s contest will start posting on Tuesday, December 4th.
Voting will begin December 17th.
Want to start on your story for next year’s contest?? Here are the guidelines.
Someone sent a story for the contest last week and I didn’t get it. They resent. Wise. I got it the second time.
Here’s how you know if I got your story: I reply back with “Got it. Thanks!”
If you sent a story and didn’t get a reply, first check your spam/junk folder. If it’s not in there, resend.
I will try to stay close to my email today and respond promptly but I do have a day job that requires a minimum of my attention. (Shhh. Don’t tell my boss I said that.) Be patient.
If you don’t get your reply email by about 7:00 p.m. tonight, resend.
No, I will not be staying up until midnight to respond to emails, so those of you who wait until the last minute will have to find out tomorrow morning if your story made it.
See this countdown?
It stops at midnight, mountain time.
What? You’re going to give up because you haven’t even started yet?
Some of my best work is done at the last minute because it forces me to turn off that internal editor.
Give it a try! You can do it!
Yes! There’s only one more full day plus a few more hours to get your story in.
See that countdown in the sidebar?
That’s exactly the amount of time you have left.
Come on! I know you can do it!!
It’s only Tuesday!
You have three full days and a handful of hours to write and submit a story to the 2012 Christmas Story Contest.
Get that story done and submitted!
What better way to kick off a new week than to write a Christmas story?
It can be sensitive or silly, hilarious or heart-warming.
There’s still time to create and polish up that story and enter the contest!
It was brought to my attention that apparently I can’t count.
Nor can I read a calendar.
Okay. So. Bottom line is: You still have plenty of time to enter the 2012 Christmas Story Contest!
Spread the word!
Nag your writer friends!
Let’s get some competition going!!!
Now that Thanksgiving is over, it’s time to polish up that Christmas story and get it submitted!
Time is almost up—only six more days to get your story done.
So far, I only have four submissions so your chances of winning one of the four honors are high!
I finally got the buttons done. Copy the code from one of the boxes below and paste it into an HTML widget in your sidebar or blog post. Once pasted into the widget code box, you’ll need to replace all the quotation marks (delete & retype) to make it work correctly. (I can’t figure out how to get the the code to work right in a WordPress post. Sorry.) When someone clicks the image it will take them to the Story Contest Info post here.
Standard Sidebar Button (220px)
Smaller Sidebar Button (125px)
This year’s Story Contest Submissions are now closed. But you can start planning now for next year’s contest. Submissions begin November 1, 2013.
Drum roll, please… It’s time for the 6th Annual LDS Publisher Christmas Short Story Contest.
- FOLLOW rules carefully! I hate it when I have to reject a story because the submission rules were ignored. (And I’m going to be really picky this year!)
- Write a short Christmas story in any genre. Stories should be positive and family friendly. I reserve the right to refuse any story I deem inappropriate for this blog/book.
- Maximum word count: 3,000; no minimum.
- Story must be previously unpublished. Stories published anywhere other than your personal website or blog are ineligible. (That includes books, magazines, e-zines or other contests.)
- Stories submitted for previous years’ contests are also ineligible for this contest.
- Paste entire story into an e-mail. NO ATTACHMENTS, please.
—Put “Contest: Title of Your Story” in the subject line of your e-mail. (Example: Contest: A Christmas Gift for Mary)
—At the top of the body of your e-mail, type your name, mailing address, phone number, e-mail address, word count and whether you are a published or unpublished author (defined below). Example:
123 My Street
My Town, ST 00000
word count: 1990
—Skip a line, then put the title of your story
—Skip a line, then paste in your story.
- “Published”—as in published author—is defined as someone paid you money or comp copies (in the case of magazines) for any story or book written by you. (So either a publisher paid you, or you self-published and people bought your book.)
- If you are a published and/or agented author, check with your publisher and/or agent before submitting. They will want to know the information listed under “Legal Details.”
- You may submit more than one story. Send each submission in a separate e-mail. Include all your info, as outlined above, with each e-mail/story.
SUBMIT your story any time between NOW and Friday, November 30, 2012.
- I will post the stories beginning on December 4, 2012, in the order that they arrive.
- We will have Reader Voting for the best stories, as we have done in previous contests. Voting will take place December 17-19th.* I will post voting rules on the 17th.
You may tell your friends that you’ve submitted a story and to please go vote, but DO NOT tell them which story is yours. We want the stories to win on merit, not personal popularity.
PRIZES: Consideration for publication in the next LDSP Christmas Anthology
- There will be four winners:
Readers’ Choice/Published Author
Readers’ Choice/Unpublished Author
Publisher’s Choice/Published Author
Publisher’s Choice/Unpublished Author
- I reserve the right to not award one of the Publisher’s Choice awards if I feel none of the stories deserve it.
- Stories in the anthology will include my choices from this and other Christmas contests held on this blog, selected based on providing a variety of stories and book size.
- Anthology #3 will be published when I have enough quality stories to create a book. It may take several years/contests to collect enough quality stories. All authors to be included in the anthology will be notified before publication.
Legal Details (Read Carefully):
- By submitting a story to this contest, you are agreeing to all the conditions below.
- Authors shall give LDS Publisher One-Time Publishing Rights for inclusion of story in the as yet untitled Christmas story compilation. This is the non-exclusive right to publish your story in this compilation, in various formats, and to retain your story in the compilation until LDS Publisher takes the compilation out of print.
- Authors shall retain all other rights and copyrights to their stories and may sell this story to any other party with a publication date after release of the compilation.
- Compensation for use of story in this compilation shall be: one free e-book copy of the published book sent to author upon publication; author’s name listed in the Table of Contents and on the first page of the story; and rights to use this compilation as a publishing credit. No royalties, advances or other monetary compensation will be given to any author. Author may not print or sell the e-book files.
- Compensation exception: If sales of the book exceed costs to produce it, LDS Publisher shall notify authors and arrange an equal royalty split between all authors, illustrator and typesetter. Conditions and terms of royalty and payment shall be determined at that time.
- LDS Publisher shall assume no rights to any future works by author.
- LDS Publisher shall have full editorial rights to the stories included in the compilation, including, but not limited to, title changes, editing for space and content, design and layout of book, title of book, and book cover.
- The compilation will be available for purchase online in both print and e-book formats at a TBA future date.
- The compilation may or may not be made available to bookstores at discounted pricing, but in any case, no marketing will be done by LDS Publisher to guarantee placement in any bookstore.
- Authors agree to help spread the word about the contest and the book by any or all of the following methods:—Word of mouth to friends and family—Website/blog buttons, links, posts, etc—Facebook, My Space, Twitter, or other networking sites or forums
Help spread the word! Post about the contest on your blog, in your forums, and e-mail all your friends.
Buttons Coming Soon!
*This is a change.